I now can say Relief :0)
I had a very BIG scare last Tuesday morning. I took Tag to his vet clinic to pick up some deworming pills as he has been having diarrhea that past month and a half. I changed his food and decided that deworming might solve this problem.
As I was waiting I decided I would see a vet about his nose and tongue. Obviously everyone knows about his nose..... but the past month his tongue had some weird red lines on it near the tip. I had a feeling before arriving that I should get it checked so I did. Well, holy mudder futter .... ( Long Story Short ) I held my emotions together until I got to my truck and then the tears came rolling.
The VET told me that he had DLE (Discoid Lupus Erythematosus) or SLE (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus) meaning and Auto Immune disease. Bottom line his Immune System is attacking his body and SLE is much worse than DLE. She felt strongly that he had DLE and due to his nose and tongue she highly advised a Biopsy.
I couldn't even think anymore I was in so much shock. I didn't book a biopsy until this week as I needed to absorb what I just heard and I needed to Google what she wrote down for me. I arrived at PnR and talked to Amanda and she googled some info so we could read it and ..yeah it all sucked !
I had to go back to work with puffy eyes and all. My husband and I both work at Frito Lay so I had already called him and told him the news and he was in shock as well. He came to my office and we had a good chat about this devastating news and I ended up booking Tag the next morning for his biopsy and some blood work for his Kidneys and Liver. They took a piece of his nose and a piece of his tongue and sent them to Calgary.
7 days later I received the results that " No he didn't have Lupus" I was so relieved and then I was pissed off. I was speaking to a different Vet and she said a few things to me that made me feel better and I most certainly told her a few things that pissed me off.
He is now on Vitamin E oil for his nose and on a Fatty omega pill that is very huge and I have to drain it on his food. we are trying to lube him up so his skin stays oily and if this doesn't work then I will try a steroid cream.
It has been a very stressful week not knowing what was happening with my boy. Plus our truck was broken into the night before this.... :o) yeah it was a good week.
This week has started off much better and my main goal is to heal his nose.. and it is tough with the F'ing WIND.
I have learned allot in the past 7 days and a few changes I have made and a few I'm going to investigate
1. Food - No grain (my theory right now for a possible allergy)
2. NO Vaccinations ever again
3. still investigating more Holistic solutions for Tag's nose
4. Still going to investigate information about Thyroid disorder
Anyway that is life right now.... but we did have a great Sunday at Balzac with Terry Simons. We ran 3 Challenge courses and one Jumpers course and we ran the Jumpers course FEO and we would have Q'd. We did super good on all three challenge courses... I was very happy with our progress.
Now that I can sleep I'm heading to bed for sweet dreams and not nightmares.
Meet Tag
- TAG ALONG
- Welcome to my Blog of "TAG" he has brought so much joy to my life. I have learned alot about the sport of AGILITY. Tag is my first Agility dog and when I went Shopping for a strong, driven, fast Border Collie.... BOY OH BOY did I get it. He is very driven, has extreme intensity and is the speed of light. Tag is 4 years old and we have been training together since he was 8 weeks old... I'm very proud of our accomplishments the past 4 years as we had many hurdles to jump. I have been very thankful for the great support system that I have. My team has encouraged me through every training session, every trial and seminar. Plus the support system I have at home makes it all possible :)
What a scare! Cockers are prone to auto-immune so I also do a different vaccination schedule. Best of luck with Tag's nose!
ReplyDeleteVicky
One day...when I'm a vet...you can tell ME what to do ;) lol! Very glad everything worked out...hope your week is going better!
ReplyDeleteYAY indeed!!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad Tag doesn't have Lupus!
ReplyDeleteYears ago my first collie had "collie nose", it was horrible, bleeding all the time. A vet suggested tatooing of all things! He had to stay in the clinic for a month for the nose to heal completely with no sun on it...then it was tatooed, he was the first dog ever to have this done (it was 1978 ) it worked awesome!!!
The nose had a covering from the sun & it allowed it to heal & actually get some of his own pigment back.
Good Luck with Tag!