Meet Tag

Welcome to my Blog of "TAG" he has brought so much joy to my life. I have learned alot about the sport of AGILITY. Tag is my first Agility dog and when I went Shopping for a strong, driven, fast Border Collie.... BOY OH BOY did I get it. He is very driven, has extreme intensity and is the speed of light. Tag is 4 years old and we have been training together since he was 8 weeks old... I'm very proud of our accomplishments the past 4 years as we had many hurdles to jump. I have been very thankful for the great support system that I have. My team has encouraged me through every training session, every trial and seminar. Plus the support system I have at home makes it all possible :)

Monday, October 5, 2009

Calgary Agility Trial

Sunday October 4th I headed to Calgary to attend a one day agility trial. I was sure happy I decided to get up at 4:15 am and have a bum clenching drive in snow, rain, icy bridges and Damn Deer. Sarah has tractor beam eyes for deer she can spot them anywhere.... thank goodness.

We started with a Master Standard course and we rocked it.. our time was 35.33 seconds he Q'd and placed 1st in his class.

We then moved on to Master Gambler course and this was our first course at a Master level and we super rocked this course.We ran it in 54.04 seconds and earned 80 points. He was a good boy and I handled him very well.

Then came the Challenge Course..... WELL ... this is always interesting. We have only ran two of them now and they are not easy for us. They are very technical, tight and you can get lost fairly easy or forget certain obstacles..umh.. like me. I walked this course with Sarah and I was so focused on the serpentine and threadles that I didn't even consider that I had to do the weave poles in between all of this. I was getting Tag warmed up and I happen to notice the dog in front of me doing weave poles and I thought to myself " what in the hell is she doing ?" then I saw the orange cone and instantly felt panic. As I was walking to the start line I said to Jan " I have to do weave poles ?" The look on her face was really funny ... she said " yeah " then she tried to explain to me what jumps I had to do but it was to late I had to go to the line. It was hairy and Tag and I had a definite disconnect but at least we finished the course this time.

The Haunting Starters Jumpers course.....urgh... We had an amazing beautiful run and it was super fast. We had a bar after a rear cross so I thought that maybe I had pushed into him to much instead of just crossing and running straight to the next jump. I'm not sure, maybe in November I will have a chance to run it again I hope 4 is our lucky number.

Sarah made a deal with me and her deal was that if I Q'd in Starters Jumpers I could run Gyppie in Master Jumpers and if I didn't then I would run Kaleb. So she was serious and I ran Kaleb in Master Jumpers.. he didn't really want to come with me at first but Sarah told him to get going so we took off and it was alot of fun and a very, very different style than I'm use to. I'm so lucky that my friends let me run their dogs as it is so much fun...and a nice change for me to work a dog at a much slower pace. You actually can "THINK" and not just fly by the seat of your pants. :0) LOL

5 comments:

  1. you and tag get better and better Jo. That standard run was amazing.

    Tag is the kind of dog people stop to watch- and you are a natural handler. You are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you did great with Tag, your progress is amazing, you are TRULY a great team.

    ... next Trail you can run Gyp in Jumpers :) ... as reward for the punishment of running K :P

    lol - you have to THINK alot wit a dog like Kaleb ... just about as exhausting as running a fast dog haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya...can you hurry up and get out of jumpers please...I like watching you and Tag...not running back to back lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...I don't think that I could get a picture of Tag with my point & shoot camera. He is super fast! You two are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2 Masters 'Q's this weekend! Wow - thats great!

    You and Tag are a great team - I love watching your runs.

    ReplyDelete