Meet Tag

Welcome to my Blog of "TAG" he has brought so much joy to my life. I have learned alot about the sport of AGILITY. Tag is my first Agility dog and when I went Shopping for a strong, driven, fast Border Collie.... BOY OH BOY did I get it. He is very driven, has extreme intensity and is the speed of light. Tag is 4 years old and we have been training together since he was 8 weeks old... I'm very proud of our accomplishments the past 4 years as we had many hurdles to jump. I have been very thankful for the great support system that I have. My team has encouraged me through every training session, every trial and seminar. Plus the support system I have at home makes it all possible :)

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Regionals 2011 - ALL HEART

It has been a week and I'm ready to talk about  REGIONALS !! It has taken me awhile to wrap my head around it this year.

First of all Tag ran awesome... I'm very blessed and fortunate to have the dog I have. A friend sent me an email the other day as she new I was feeling a bit glum and she said   " Jo, We have animals come in and out of our lives but there is always that really special one that always make you sit back and really think. There the dogs that give you 100 % no matter what...and that is  Tag "

Let me tell the long story in short version. Amanda and I start Steeple Chase on Friday morning. I do the same warm up every single time make sure he stretches himself out very well and his muscles are warmed up. We ran our first run and he wasn't running very well.. he was very tight and seemed sore. A few fellow agility friends commented on the fact he didn't look right, he wasn't extending. So I cooled him down and we went for a trot and I wasn't sure what to think. Sarah and Cindy showed up before our second run and Sarah took a look at his left hamstring and his muscle was spasming and incredibly tight. She gave him a really good massage just in time for his second run and he ran it beautifully. We headed back to Jan and Dave's house and we all went for a stroll around their beautiful acreage.
We noticed right away that Tag was not putting any weight on his back left leg.. he wasn't limping but he was kind of bunny hopping. Right away I knew this wasn't good... and of course I do not deal well when my child is not right :0)

I went into the house to check him out and my pals joined me and Sarah gave him a real deep massage and he actually cried a few times. We put him on Medicam and iced his hamstring. I decided that I would see how he was doing in the morning and if I needed to pull him out then I would.

Saturday morning came and he had a nice massage from Sarah and he ran his Gamble beautifully and placed 2nd... more massage and ran his Jumpers clean... more massage... and he would have ran his standard clean if I hadn't F'd him over... but we won't talk about that. He was extending and he ran and looked good, So Saturday was turning out OK.

Sunday came with more massage and more Medicam and he ran his Jumpers with one bar and one refusal. Standard run came and didn't go so well as he was not feeling well and he really had a hard time weaving. If it hadn't been regionals and just a normal trial I would have pulled him right then. It took us 5 X to get through the weaves and that is not Tag. I was very upset when I came out of the ring as I new my dog was not ok and I felt I should pull him for the next run.

I massaged, iced, trotted, stretched and did everything I could to ensure he was ok. I told myself that if he has any problems with the warm up bars or looks uncomfortable I will no longer put him through it.... well of course HE LOOKED GOOD !! We ran our Gambler course and my head was not fully in it as I did cross the mini gamble line and I didn't get the points I wanted but Tag was in pain especially after he jumped the double at close range I know my dog and I could tell. I thought for sure there was no way he would get the end gamble and I really didn't care at that point. He blew me away..he was amazing he completed the end gamble with 4 jumps. When we walked out of the course he was limping and I really lost it then. I was battling with my feelings all weekend as to what I should do..and constantly thinking one more run... will see ... one more run. Then when you see your dog give it his all... ALL WEEKEND.. for you... it is really hard to take.

Sarah and I took him immediately to the pool and I ran the cold hose all over his hamstring and it seemed to really ease the spasms. My long story short is that he placed 15th out of 40 dogs in a very competitive division and he did it for me.

Tuesday I took him to the vet and he has a soft tissue injury ..maybe ? and his lower back is very tight as he obviously was compensating. He is on Robaxin and Medicam for 10 days and then he will have a follow up and I will decide from there what rehab we will be doing. It has literally taken me a week to forgive myself and understand if I did the right thing last weekend. I'm still not sure... Life is very quiet around our house right now and it is very odd for everyone. All his toys have been put away so he doesn't hurt himself more, and he is very sleepy and a bit depressed as he is on alot of Meds... I know he is going to be fine but it is really hard to see. We are out of Agility for 8 weeks..maybe more not sure... which isn't long either but it is when you love it and you don't get to see your pals weekly.

I found this in one of my Junior Handling Books when I was a kid

You can't by loyalty, they say
I bought it though, the other day
You can't buy friendship, tried and true
Well just the same, I bought that too.

I made my bid, and on the spot
Bought love and faith and a whole job lot
Of happiness, so all in all
The purchase price was pretty small

I bought a single trusting heart
That gave devotion from the start
If you think these things are not for sale
Buy a Brown-eyed puppy with a wagging tail.


Good picture of Tag and the City of Calgary behind him.



The GDG gang.. We have an amazing group :0)


The awesome cupcakes that were made especially for GDG group for Regionals I eat Tag on Sunday .. he was yummy.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post. We love the photo of Tag with the city backdrop behind them. Those cupcakes look amazing and delicious. Have a great weekend.
    World of Animals

    ReplyDelete